Worldcon 75 needs you!
All Worldcons are organised and put on by volunteer legions of dedicated fans and convention-runners. Worldcon 75 is no different and, in addition to the wonderful staff we have now, there are many other positions that need good people to fill them! If you are interested in taking on some responsibility, and can put in some work before the convention, check out the positions below and e-mail the appropriate division. If you don’t see a role here that you think might fit, or if you have any questions about volunteering for Worldcon 75 in general, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We need lots of help and we will find you a spot!
If you just want to put in some hours at the convention itself, please fill out
this online form. The sooner you sign up, the easier it is for us to plan the work. But there will also be a volunteers desk at the convention, where you can sign up to help when you arrive.
Please note that everyone attending Worldcon 75 needs to have a membership, including volunteers. You can get your membership via our membership page. Volunteers receive groats per hours worked (valid as money in most venue restaurants and with some vendors and artists), a unique Worldcon 75 Volunteer t-shirt for a certain amount of hours worked (15 if you sign up through the form linked above before August, 20 if you volunteer at the con), a volunteer ribbon (different one if you sign up early!), and of course a wonderful sense of pride and accomplishment from being part of the team that put on the first Nordic Worldcon!
Available Staff Positions
Turva is a Finnish word and it means security, the feeling of being safe. The Turva division includes OPS (Operations), security and safety, logistics, MIMO (Move In Move Out), off site storage and supplies. E-mail email@example.com if you are interested in any of these positions.
Listener Area Head
- Recruit and lead/manage the team of Listeners who will respond to reported incidences at the convention.
- Desired experience: Previous Listener (or equivalent) experience.
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this position.
Programme Division makes sure the convention has interesting programming for all age groups. E-mail email@example.com if you are interested in any of these positions.
Children’s programming staff
- Help organise children’s programming on-site, assist the programme item leaders, possibly lead some items, and manage the family rooms.
- Desired experience: working with kids in groups.
- Language skills are very valuable.
- Help Programme run smoothly at the convention, working under ProgrammeOPS. Making sure programme items run on time, help to contact Tech if required etc.
- Desired experience: no prior experience required.
Outreach Division is responsible for promoting and marketing Worldcon 75, as well as coordinating public contact to our members. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this area.
The Events Division is responsible for organising all the larger events at Worldcon – this includes the opening and closing ceremonies, the dances, the Masquerade and the Hugo Awards ceremony. Events also organises the Hugo reception (before the Hugo Awards ceremony). If it is big and fancy and people will talk about it for years to come, it is probably an Event. E-mail email@example.com if you are interested in any of these positions.
Closing Ceremony Staff
- The closing ceremony, taking place at 17:00 on Sunday, will be one of the final events of Worldcon 75 and will be a chance to look back at some of the highlights of the event.
- Closing ceremony staff will help behind the scenes to make sure this event takes place with no problems.
- No prior experience required.
Member Services is here to assist the members of Worldcon 75 so they enjoy themselves at the convention and throughout their stay in Helsinki! E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in any of these positions.
Info Desk Co-Area Head
- Help Run the combined Alien Info/Info Desk area.
- Respond to info@ emails.
- Contribute to blog posts.
- Contribute to web pages for member info.
- Recruit volunteers to staff the info desk.
- Create and maintain a rota for staffing the desk during the convention.
- Liaise with Messukeskus and local childcare providers to provide a service at the convention.
- Be the main point of contact for contract negotiations.
- Handle pre-con and at con bookings for childcare
Info Desk Volunteers – many needed
- Work shifts at the info desk which will entail:
- Managing sign-ups for tours, Kaffee Klatches, Literary Beers etc.
- Providing information on the general area for members.
- Providing information on where things are at the convention centre.
- And more!
Access Volunteers – many needed
- Help set up programme rooms for programme items.
- Work access desk shifts:
- Answering access questions.
- Giving out access ribbons.
- First contact for access issues members are experiencing.
Design Resources is responsible for visual representation of Worldcon 75 and related merchandise, the design and layout as well as making the visual impact to the venue and to main events. We are a team of illustrators, graphic designers, proofreaders, translators, photographers. E-mail email@example.com if you are interested in any of these positions.
- Building 3D models in cooperation with our illustrator for the venue and main Events. The elements can be for example the northern lights, our mascot Major Ursa the space-exploring polar bear, a space rocket.
- At this moment, facial expressions or detailed clothing, hair/fur movement is not necessary.
- Earlier experience required, preferably in space and/or nature-related areas.
- A person responsible for tendering a printing press for the future printable products (Progress Report 4, Programme Book, Restaurant Guide, and others, as well and posters).
- Liaising with the person doing layout and the printing press, if needed.
- Agreeing on time tables with the printing press (we will be printing a lot in July/August).
- Prior experience of the printing process and the details printing presses need, is required.