Worldcon 75 will actively support members of the press and writers for online media who are covering the convention before, during, and after the event. We aim to provide information about this convention specifically, and about Worldcon, science fiction conventions, and the science fiction and fantasy genre in general.
Contact and Queries
For pre-convention information and queries, contact the Worldcon 75 Press Office at email@example.com or by calling our press info number +358 41 753 3069.
Press Support at Worldcon 75
Worldcon 75 will offer a range of services to assist members of the press during the event, including a Press Office in Messukeskus, on the second floor of the convention centre, and a room that can be booked for interviews and/or for recording – for instance for podcasts.
Press desk hours:
11–18 Wednesday August 9
10–18 Thursday August 10
10–midnight Friday August 11
10–22 Saturday August 12
11–16 Sunday August 13
Worldcon 75 is honoured by the presence of members of the media from around the globe.
COLLECTING YOUR BADGE
- If you have previously requested and been granted a press pass or press credentials, please pick up your badge at Messukeskus’ south entrance lobby. There will be a special registration table for press and other key groups, such as vendors and programme participants. You will be given directions to the press room (which is on the second floor of the convention center in the Kokoustamo Conference Centre). During our open hours we will have a member of the press team present to assist you.
- If you have not requested a press pass or press credentials and before you arrive at the convention, a member of the press staff will be contacted by registration to assist you, during our office hours.
Please download our media packet. It includes biographies for our chairs and guests of honour, an overview of the Hugo Awards, and an overview of Worldcon, although with our logos and portraits of our chairs and Guests of Honour.
A one-hour walkthrough for the purpose of filming and photographing public areas of the convention will be held on Saturday August 12 at noon, meet at the press room on the second floor in the Kokoustilat.
Seats will be reserved at the Opening Ceremony, the Hugos Ceremony, and the Masquerade for members of the press with credentials or passes. These seats will have “Reserved for Press” signs on them.
Opening Ceremony – Room: 101a&b At: 15–16 Date: August 9
Hugo Awards – Room: Hall 1 At: 19:30–22:30 Date: August 11
Masquerade – Room: Hall 1 At: 19:30–22:30 Date: August 12
Closing ceremony – Room: 101a&b At: 17–18 Date: August 13
A quiet interview recording room is available for reservation on a first-come, first-served basis.
To request an interview with a guest of honour or a chair, contact press relations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For interviews with other attendees, please contact them directly, except for George R. R. Martin. We have received many requests for interviews with George R. R. Martin. He is now fully booked and it is not possible to schedule any more interviews with him. This is a personal event for him, and he will be busy attending parties, checking out the art show, wandering the dealer’s room, and lunching and dining with editors, agents, friends, and colleagues. We will greatly appreciate your respect for his right to continue attending an event that has been a part of his life for a very long time, without being approached for autographs or interviews after panels, at parties, during lunch or breakfast or dinner, in the elevator, on the street, in the hall, or elsewhere.
CODE OF CONDUCT
- Our code of conduct applies to all participants in Worldcon75, including attendees, press of all kinds, staff and volunteers. Please familiarise yourself with it: Code of Conduct.
RULES FOR RECORDING AND PHOTOGRAPHY
- Coordination: All photographers please coordinate with our internal head of photography, Henry Söderlund (email@example.com) directly in regard to events.
- Do not occupy or block any spaces designated for Accessibility purposes.
- Do not occupy reserved seats or sections not marked for Press.
- During the opening ceremony, the Masquerade, and the Hugos Ceremony, no flash photography is permitted, and photographers are not permitted to bring in additional lights.
- Finnish law prohibits the publication or distribution of personally identifiable photographs without the permission of all involved, except for purposes of journalism or artistic or literary expression. Publishing pictures of a person in a public space, e.g. a group shot, may also require their consent, unless the person clearly is not the main subject of the image and the picture does not cause them any damage, suffering or harm. Please do not take pictures or video of individuals without their explicit permission.
- Please respect the participants and audience members at all times. If you wish to record a programme item or photograph during it, please ask the participants ahead of time. You do not need to let press office know what panels you record ahead of time. Please do not record or photograph audience members.
- It is never acceptable to disrupt a programme item or other event. The moderator/organiser of any event has the right to ask anyone to leave the room if they believe they are being disruptive. Please ensure any photography is non-disruptive, and respect the moderator/presenter, and/or panelists’ wishes regarding taking of photos and/or video.
- It is not possible to record at the Tea and Jeopardy podcast taping due to rights issues.
- Please do not film signings. Many people are present and identifiable at these events, not just the author, and for many people meeting their favorite authors in person is a very personal moment.
- Although we cannot provide technical support to individual press teams, you are welcome to livestream the opening and closing ceremonies, the Hugo Awards, and the Masquerade from your own equipment with your own commentary or subtitles. Please do not livestream from elsewhere at the convention as this will greatly reduce the bandwidth available to support attendees and programme participant. Worldcon 75 will officially livestream the key events.
Press Credentials and Press Passes
A Press Pass is a complimentary admission to the convention that includes the right to attend the convention for a limited time. Press Passes are given to working press staff (see below) to allow them to access and move around the convention site. Press Passes do not include any WSFS membership rights. Anyone qualifying for a Press Pass automatically gets Press Credentials.
Press Credentials are given to regular (paying) convention members who are covering the convention for the press or online media as part of their attendance.
All members of the press are welcome to make use of the press services offered by the convention. The only distinction of a Press Pass is the complimentary admission.
[2016-09-22] Helsinki in 2017: Putting the world into Worldcon
[2016-09-30] Special Hugo Awards category announced for 2017
[2017-01-09] Hugo nominations open
[2017-04-04] Hugo Award Finalists Announced
[2017-04-21] Steve Stiles a New Finalist for Best Fan Artist Hugo
[2017-07-06] NASA Astronaut Kjell Lindgren Presents Another Hugo, This Time From Earth
[2017-07-21] Worldcon 75 releases draft programme schedule; press conference on opening day
[2016-09-30] Helsingin Worldconissa jaetaan uuden kategorian Hugo-palkinto
[2016-10-17] Worldcon 75 esittäytyy Helsingin kirjamessuilla
[2017-01-09] Helsingin Worldconissa jaettavien Hugo-palkintojen ehdokasasettelu alkaa
[2017-04-04] Vuoden 2017 Hugo-palkintojen ehdokaslista on vahvistettu
[2017-06-27] Toimituksille tiedoksi Worldcon 75:n mediajärjestelyistä
[2017-07-06] NASA:n astronautti Kjell Lindgren jakaa taas Hugo-palkinnon – tänä vuonna maan kamaralla
[2017-07-21] Worldcon 75:n alustava ohjelma on julki – tarjolla yli 800 tuntia ohjelmaa!
[2017-08-02] Muistutuskutsu: Worldcon 75:n avajaispäivän lehdistötilaisuus
[2017-08-10] Worldcon 75 keskeyttää jäsenyyksien myynnin – päivälippuja enää rajoitetusti